10.26.2011

Special Carrots (and Tear-free Onions...)

It seems like kind of a funny title, but they really are special carrots and we only had them on special occasions growing up, so the name stuck.  I love these (because I'm a huge dill fan) and they are SO easy to make that I just had to share.

Begin by peeling carrots (I was cooking for 20 people, so I did 4 pounds.)

(the sun was so pretty streaming through my kitchen window.)

Discard ends and thinly slice carrots.  (I have a slicer attachment for my mixer and had these done in less than 5 minutes!)


Finely chop onion and celery.


Mix carrots, celery, onion, white wine, sugar, margarine, and dill weed in saucepan.


Special Carrots (printable version)

1 pd. carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
1/4 cup onion, chopped fine
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. margarine
1/8 tsp. dried dill weed

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan.  Cover and cook over medium heat 15-20 minutes or until tender.  Yield: 6 servings. (recipe maybe doubled, or more)

Bonus -- how I chop onions without crying!

I begin by slicing off each end almost but not completely.  I pull off the skin, and then rinse under cold running water, rubbing my thumb in a circular motion around both of the cut ends.

I then, slice the onion in half, and cut slices all in the same direction:

Then turn the onion and cut slices perpendicular to those just cut:

This is the fastest way to chop onions and I rarely have tears while cutting as this is a quick and effective method.  

STAY TUNED FOR TOMORROW'S POST -- my 100th post, and a GIVEAWAY!!! :-)

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Here's a tip I learned from Martha Stewart when cutting onions: suck on a piece of candy or light a fragrant candle. I quite often pop a piece of candy in my mouth when cutting onions and it works great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...